Setting Intentions with the Cycles of the Moon:
New Moon Seed Planting!
Continuing our series on manifesting with the moon phases, we are now approaching a New Moon. (You can read about what to do at the Full Moon here.)
I heard years ago that farmers used to plant their seeds based on the phase of the moon. From my own informal research, I have learned that some still do. Apparently planting short-germanation and extra-long germination seeds around the new moon and long germination around the full moon helps the seeds grow.
I also know time between the new moon and the full moon is a powerful, energetic time. Energy is expansive during this time, it is growing. I like to plant my wishes, my intentions at the new moon and watch them build with the building energy of the moon!
I LOVE following Jan Spiller’s book: New Moon Astrology: The Secret of Astrological Timing to Make All Your Dreams Come True.
(Yep, this is my copy. You can just see all the post-it notes and tabs sticking out. This copy is dog-eared and highlighted!)
This book completely changed how I set my intentions each month. You learn all about how to follow the astrological charts, when you have a HUGE intention setting time according to your astrological chart AND you also learn some of the keys.
- Set your wishes after the moment of the New Moon. Setting your intentions within 8 hours is ideal, but up to 48 hours is fine, too. (Before the exact time of the New Moon, “the moon is in its ‘balsamic’ phase, a time of completion and ‘discharging’ from the prior cycle.” NOT a good time to set your wishes!)
- Only set up to 10 wishes and focusing your attention on a couple can be extraordinarily powerful. The more wishes you have, the more you disperse the energy.
- Word your wishes clearly so you invoke an emotion as you read them. (You’ll know you have a “good wish” if reading it leaves you feeling in harmony and happy.)
- Once you have finished your list, do whatever you want with it as long as you keep it. I use a special journal just for my wishes. I write them down in the journal and I don’t read them for 6 months. Years ago I learned to set my intentions over 6 months and I still do it. When the 6 months are up, I reread them. It is always fun to see what has happened in my life since my last set of wishes!
- End your wish list with one final statement: “I lovingly receive these things into my life now or something better for the highest good of all concerned.” This statement gives room for something better AND keeps you from bringing something into your life that isn’t for your highest good.
Take some time during the next new moon to plant some seeds of your own!
- First, spend some time filling yourself up and feeling really good. Tea, relaxing music, lit candles, whatever feels good for you.
- Quiet yourself and take a few deep breaths.
- Make a list of 10 things you want in your life – your “seeds”. Let yourself dream big here.
- Write them out in the first-person, present with the emotion you connect with that seed: I am so happy that I am my own boss, I am so excited that I have 3 new friends, I am so grateful that my credit card is paid off.
- When you are finished, mark your list with the date 6 months from now and place it in a sacred place in your home.
You’ll be amazed how many of your seeds have “magically” begun to germinate in 6 months! Enjoy this worksheet for yourself: