I have decided to begin sharing a passion of mine with you – living a chemical-free life. As a yoga peep, being organic and natural kinda goes along with the territory. AND once you have kids, well, for me that is a game changer. I didn’t want anything but the very best in my little girl!
AND being aware of the toxins and chemicals that are in our home and how to get rid of them is definitely part of living your Extraordinary Life for a variety of reasons. Did you know these chemicals and toxins can actually keep you from thinking big! Crazy isn’t it? (They do more things to harm us. I’ll chat about that below.)
So, if you aren’t aware, I fell in love with Young Living Essential Oils almost three years ago now. My yoga teacher introduced me 20 years ago, but it wasn’t until three years ago that I really understood their power. (You can read more about the oils and how I use them here.) Suffice it to say, they have affected my family physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We are healthier, more vibrant, and happier! (AND they oils affect our vibration – amazing for stepping into that Extraordinary Life I’m always talking about!)
I have also used the oils and the oil-infused products to get rid of toxic-ladened products in my home. Some of the chemicals that are in many of our everyday products here in the US are incredibly scary.
In the interest of full disclosure, though, while my husband and I made many changes to safer products when our kids were born, I kept using some of my own personal products. I liked my skin care routine and my make up and my sunscreen. I didn’t want to change it so I chose not to look at it.
But at what cost?
These chemicals found in our everyday products have been known to:
- Disrupt the endocrine system: Infertility is at an all-time high here in the US and girls are starting their cycles younger and younger. Endrogenic toxins also increase histamine levels in the body which affect allergies.
- Affect our cellular health – even rewriting DNA
- Reduce mental clarity: 1 in 150 children had ADD & ADHD 10 years ago. Now it is 1 in 50.
- Reduce our focus: Brain fog anyone?
- Increase allergies
- Harm our respiratory health
- Reduce our energy levels
Scary, isn’t it??
Did you know…
- In 1976, the Toxic Control Substance Act grandfathered in over 70,ooo chemicals approved to use in the US and over 65,000 of those are considered hazardous to your health.
- AND Toxic Labeling Requirements are mandatory only if 50% of the animals tested die.
- The European government has banned 1,300+ more chemicals than the U.S. TIMES, chemicals that are used in our everyday products.
Did you also know…
- Our skin is our largest organ – about 20 square feet! It is responsible for 1/4 of the body’s daily detoxification.
- Skin is highly absorbent. In fact of all the ways to get things into our body – mouth, nose and skin – it is the only access path without any filters. What we put on our skin goes right into our blood stream and liver. (Includes: personal care products and cleaners and anything in the air that lands on our skin.) So we aren’t just concerned with what we put IN our body but also ON our body in relation to personal care products and cleaning products.
- Our skin is also our body’s thinnest organ. Only 1/10th of an inch separates our delicate organs from all sorts of toxins, many of which have estrogen-mimicking effects that can destroy all of our good health intentions.
Once you start learning these things, you want to make changes!
And I want to help you.
Initially it was frustrating to learn that there is so little regulation here in the US. But then I realized, I can simply educate myself and make the changes I need to make AND I can educate YOU to make changes, too!
BUT doing it all at once is too overwhelming. So, how about one area a month? Once a month I will be adding a post to this series and sending it out via my email. (You can get on my email list here.)
The post will share with you what you want to look for on the labels of the products you are already using, to see if it is safe. I will also share YL products you may want to use instead or a DIY project, if appropriate, to make your own.
I hope you will take the opportunity to make your house safer for your family, your pets and you!
Set your intention to begin stepping into safer products. It might mean letting go of something you really like. (I found it much easier to let go of something I liked when I learned about the toxins in it!)
Get your tools in order:
- Download the Environmental Working Group’s app: EWG’s Healthy Living. (It used to be called Skin Deep.) This app is the perfect go to when you aren’t sure about a product. (You can also use it to look up food products to check the safety.) The app gives ratings on a scale from 1-10, 1 being safe and 10 highly toxic.
- Add the EWG.org Skin Deep database to your Bookmarks. (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/) While the app is good, the database is much more complete. You’ll be able to look up individual ingredients, too. And each item receives the rating from 1-10 and also lets you know how much information and research is available on that item.
- Finally begin perusing the info on EWG.org. Good stuff is there!
Next post: Chemical-Free Summer – We will tackle nature in the summer!
Enjoy the entire #SwitchToSafer series as they are released. Click here for all posts or get on my mailing list to receive the email.
- Your Skin in the Sun…Naturally
- Outdoor Adventure…Annoyance Free!
Ready to take the next step?
- Like my oils community’s Facebook page: Simply Serendipity Central.
- Find out more about essential oils and how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24 % off retail prices!