I have struggled with adrenal fatigue for most of my life, living through cycles of extreme, self-imposed stress that wear out my body and mind. I succumbed to adrenal fatigue again this past summer, one of the reasons I have been quiet on this blog for a few months.
I kind of feel like I’m “coming out” with this post. For my students, clients and frequent readers, you know I have never professed to be doing everything the “right way”. I often share my challenges, my issues, what I am working on openly and honestly. This time is no different.
I believe we can all learn from one another. I know I’m not alone with fatigue and stress.
But this time feels different. I really feel quite done with it. I feel a major foundational shift afoot, a desire to change my usual ways to show up in the world in a calmer way so I don’t need to do this again.
I thought I would share my process with you, my shift of moving from a generally stressed and freaked out way of being, to one of an even more vibrant mind and body. I am all about specific, tangible steps and I want to share them with you!
The adrenals are tiny glands found on your kidneys and are in charge of releasing stress hormones.
When we keep ourselves under a constant level of stress (ahem…modern life), the adrenals get worn out.
While adrenal fatigue isn’t recognized by western medicine (my doctor literally rolled his eyes when I mentioned it…he isn’t my doctor anymore!), I have a hard time believing constant stress wouldn’t have an adverse effect on our bodies. It just makes sense.
Some symptoms you may experience are:
- Feeling tired in the morning so it is a struggle waking up — even after 10 hours of sleep!
- Feeling tired in the middle of the afternoon. I call it the crash. Sometimes it will be so bad, I feel like the flu is coming on.
- Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. I often wake at 4am and don’t fall back to sleep until 6am.
- Anxiety or feeling on edge. I find I am easily startled in the house by my family, too.
- Weight gain. I gained 20 pounds in a very short period of time that I have struggled to lose — even though I know how to lose weight and I am doing all the right things!
That said, what i will be sharing with you is my own path and story as well as all I have done and am doing to take myself through a profound healing. I am two months into probably a year of work to get back to full vibrancy.
What I will share is my journey, not “proven” methods. I do what makes sense and feels good. If you need “proof”, I am not your gal. 🙂
So far I have 10 topics I want to share with you and keep adding the more I think about what I am doing for myself. So far my list includes:
- Shifting your belief system so you don’t feel as much stress.
- A nighttime routine to help you get the best night’s sleep.
- How to get out of bed in the morning and start your day — when you just want to roll over and go back to sleep.
- Tips for getting through the day with a little more energy.
- The diet I have been following to help my body heal.
- A yoga program that is perfect for those with too much stress and fatigue.
- Supplements I recommend.
- And more!
And, of course, each step has life coaching tips, yoga poses and essential oils you can use to support your process.
Who will benefit? Anyone with fatigue and/or too much stress. (In other words, everyone! 🙂 )
With the world in such a place of flux as of late, I feel more determined than ever to take control of what I can take control of. Let’s do it together!
I would love to hear from you.
Comment below with what you are looking most forward to when you are feeling more energized!