Yoga Pose of the Month: Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose)
Let’s study Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose) this month. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
- Do you prefer the leg high and in line with the body (like in the photo)? Or lower so it is parallel to the floor?
- Compare and contrast doing the pose with and without a block under the bottom hand.
- Play with placing the hand flat on the floor vs. cupping the fingers. (For instructions on this one, check the video here.)
- Play with extending the legs more firmly. Are they extending equally? Are the arches and inner thighs engaged?
- Play with the wall in a variety of ways. Place your back to the wall (to rest your tush), your front to the wall (to place your upper hand on the wall and further open the heart), your back foot (takes a bit of trickery to get the spacing correct but worth it — it’ll help you get your extension stronger through that leg.)
If you are a teacher, challenge yourself to teach this pose in each class this month. Add this component: Can you find something new to teach (and learn)?